Wednesday 27 June 2012

Thesis time and many thanks!

Well now I'm basically done all of my actual research, and I'm about to start writing my thesis, which will likely be the bane of my existence for the next 3 months. Yay! I've never written anything like this before and this should be interesting.

Giving credit where credit is due:
Just want to give some thanks to people that have helped me out along the way. My project is mainly (or entirely) supervised by Colin Palmer, who I owe a lot to. Not only has he helped me a lot in getting started as an academic, but he has been extremely patient with my lack of understanding math and physics, as well as helping me get through a very hard time when my Mom passed away. Not only that, but if it weren't for him, my project wouldn't be possible since he's responsible for getting most of the CT scans done that I am doing my research from. These scans include wing phalanges from the NHM (thanks to Lorna Steel I believe for doing those), and some specimens from Portsmouth that were scanned at Southampton (not sure who to thank, but blanket thanks to those responsible). I also have a set of scans from Mike Habib, so thanks to you as well. I've had some help from and discussions with Mark Witton, who has been great in sharing his data with me and supplying me with awesome pictures for talks and posters, Mike Benton, whose flexibility and understanding meant I could continue the project through a tough time, and lots of my MSc friends (Davide especially). And of course Josh for putting up with me whining about how I'm going to fail and (trying?) to teach me physics :)

This project has been great so far in teaching me basic pterosaur anatomy, more detailed physics and biomechanics (which I am horrible at), and getting my writing. I'm so glad I decided to do it and I'm hoping I come up with a publishable project at the end. I'm hoping to at least present what I have at SVPCA in September, and the pterosaur meeting in Rio in May (if I can figure out a way of being able to afford that).

Now to write!